Saturday, May 12, 2007

Starting off rough

Well, we made it to China, just in time for me (Krysta) to get a touch of the flu. Yesterday we were to tour Tiananmen Square, the Forbidden City, and the Great Wall. I woke up at about 3:00 a.m. with body aches and spent the morning crying, thinking I wouldn't be well enough to go touring. Can you believe it? Here we are in China and I may have to stay in the hotel all day! I decided I would give it a go. There are some great people in our travel group and they were trying to think of anything they had with them that might help. Our guide, David, was so sweet too, as he went to the store and brought back bananas, some sort of interesting rice biscuit-type cookies and water. I made it through Tiananmen Square, and the Forbidden City, but I started going down hill quickly at lunch time and ended up sleeping on the bus the whole time we were at the Great Wall. Yep, major bummer. Jason, however, made it to the top of the Great Wall! I was too sick to even really get up and look out the windows, and frankly, too sick to care. The weather was beautiful so Jason got a few nice pictures.

It was right back to bed for me and I woke up at 3:00 a.m. (I'm seeing a trend...) with a fever. I brought packets of electrolytes for Jia so I drank some of that and took some advil and went to sleep for another hour. Now I'm feeling pretty close to normal, but we could sure use your prayers as it would be a really big disappointment for either one of us to be sick when we meet Jia. Which by the way, happens tomorrow morning! We are so excited!! We have to be out of our room and downstairs at 5:30 a.m. this morning and I think our flight leaves at around 6:00 a.m. We will have the whole day free to explore Jia's home town and get everything ready for her. So while the beginning was rough, the moment we've been waiting for is almost here!

6 comments:

Patch said...

Eew! :( What a time for the flu! I'm so sorry! Here's praying that you'll be de rigeur (up to speed) when you meet Jia.
Loving thoughts,
Sharon

Anonymous said...

We'll definately be praying for you here...trusting it was only the 24 hour type of bug!

Rest when you can, breathe deeply...she's almost home... in her Momma & Daddy's arms.

Amanda H & the Ferndale Clan

Brad said...

Wow! Jason you are real hero! I went about half way up the Great Wall and that was enough for me. Hope you feel better soon Krysta. We are so excited for you two! You are in our prayers.
Brad & Heather

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you got sick.. YIKES. I pray all goes well for your meeting with Jia. I am very excited for you all.

Love, Steph

Anonymous said...

Oh Krysta! I am praying for you! Praying for a speedy recover, for everybody else in your family to stay healthy (love saying FAMILY) and that when you meet your precious daughter, you are 100% yourself!

Love to you across the miles!
Julie
Mommy to Li Fang

PS - HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY, MOMMY!

Anonymous said...

So I clicked on the video expecting to see a crib being rolled into your room. Thinking sweet little one thought and sighing about it being Mother's Day and all-but whoa-it isn't a crib it is a tank full of EELS!!! So much for getting all mushy and sentimental.
Seriously you all have been on my mind since last night-my whole family knows what time it is in China! Our prayers and love go with you as you meet Jia and she you in the next half hour. Mary